Resetting the filter on your Whirlpool refrigerator is a simple process that ensures your appliance continues to provide clean and fresh-tasting water. Over time, the filter in your refrigerator can become clogged with impurities, reducing its effectiveness. In this article, we will guide you through the steps to reset the filter on your Whirlpool refrigerator, ensuring optimal performance and water quality.
Locating the Filter
Before resetting the filter, it is essential to locate it within your Whirlpool refrigerator. The filter is typically located in the upper right-hand corner of the refrigerator compartment. It may be concealed behind a plastic cover or grille. Refer to your refrigerator’s user manual for specific instructions on locating the filter.
To reset the filter on your Whirlpool refrigerator, you will need the following materials:
1. Replacement Filter: Ensure you have a compatible replacement filter for your Whirlpool refrigerator model. It is recommended to use genuine Whirlpool filters to maintain the highest quality and compatibility.
Resetting the Filter
Follow these steps to reset the filter on your Whirlpool refrigerator:
1. Open the Filter Compartment: Locate the filter compartment cover and open it. This may involve sliding or lifting a plastic cover or grille.
2. Remove the Old Filter: Carefully remove the old filter from its housing. Be cautious of any water that may be trapped in the filter or housing.
3. Install the New Filter: Take the new filter and align it with the housing. Insert it firmly and securely into place. Ensure it is fully seated and locked in position.
4. Reset the Indicator: Some Whirlpool refrigerators have an indicator light that notifies you when it is time to replace the filter. To reset the indicator, press and hold the reset button for a few seconds until the light turns off or changes color.
5. Close the Filter Compartment: Once the new filter is installed and the indicator is reset, close the filter compartment cover. Ensure it is securely in place to prevent any air or water leaks.
Filter Replacement Schedule
It is important to replace the filter in your Whirlpool refrigerator regularly to maintain water quality and performance. The recommended filter replacement schedule varies depending on the model and usage. Typically, it is advised to replace the filter every six months or after filtering approximately 200 gallons of water. Refer to your refrigerator’s user manual or the filter packaging for specific guidelines.
Resetting the filter on your Whirlpool refrigerator is a straightforward process that ensures your appliance continues to deliver clean and fresh-tasting water. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can easily replace the filter and reset any indicator lights. Remember to use genuine Whirlpool filters and adhere to the recommended replacement schedule for optimal performance.