Replacing the water filter in your Whirlpool refrigerator is an essential maintenance task to ensure clean and fresh-tasting water and ice. In this article, we will guide you through the step-by-step process of replacing a Whirlpool refrigerator water filter, ensuring that you can do it easily and effectively.
Step 1: Determine the Correct Filter
Before replacing the water filter, it is crucial to identify the correct filter model for your Whirlpool refrigerator. The model number can usually be found on a label inside the refrigerator or in the owner’s manual. Once you have the model number, you can purchase the appropriate replacement filter from an authorized Whirlpool dealer or an online retailer.
Step 2: Prepare for Replacement
To prepare for the replacement, gather the necessary materials and tools. Here are the items you will need:
– Replacement water filter
– Clean cloth or paper towel
– Whirlpool refrigerator owner’s manual (optional)
Step 3: Locate the Water Filter
The location of the water filter may vary depending on the model of your Whirlpool refrigerator. However, it is typically found inside the refrigerator compartment, either in the upper right corner, the lower grille, or behind the refrigerator’s base grille. Consult your owner’s manual for the exact location if you are unsure.
Step 4: Remove the Old Water Filter
Once you have located the water filter, follow these steps to remove the old filter:
1. Turn off the ice maker by lifting the wire arm or switching the ice maker control to the “Off” position.
2. Open the refrigerator door and locate the filter compartment.
3. Twist the old water filter counterclockwise to unlock it.
4. Pull the old filter straight out and discard it. Be cautious of any water that may be in the filter housing.
Step 5: Install the New Water Filter
Now that the old water filter has been removed, it’s time to install the new one. Follow these steps:
1. Remove the protective cap from the new water filter.
2. Align the new filter with the filter housing and insert it into the compartment.
3. Twist the filter clockwise until it locks into place. You should feel it stop and hear a clicking sound.
4. Turn on the ice maker by lowering the wire arm or switching the ice maker control to the “On” position.
Step 6: Reset the Water Filter Indicator
After installing the new water filter, it is important to reset the water filter indicator light on your Whirlpool refrigerator. This step ensures that the indicator accurately reflects the filter’s lifespan. The process for resetting the indicator may vary depending on the model, so consult your owner’s manual for specific instructions.
Replacing the water filter in your Whirlpool refrigerator is a simple process that can be done in just a few steps. By following the instructions provided, you can ensure that your refrigerator continues to provide clean and refreshing water and ice for you and your family.
– Whirlpool: https://www.whirlpool.com/
– Whirlpool Owner’s Manual